Brainstorming Ways to Use My Food Powers for Good.
Today I realized that I haven’t worked on goal #5 (see the list on your right) at all. Not one little bit. Shame on me!
But why is it so important that I use my food powers for good?
Reaching out to others and getting over shyness.
Getting to the point where food is my “thing,” a part of my everyday life, a part of my personality. When someone needs a home-cooked meal, I want them to come to me. When someone’s sick or swamped with work, I want to train my brain to automatically whip up a basket of muffins and deliver it to them in a wicker basket covered in gingham napkins. Yeah, I want to be that lady.
I think it will help me become a better cook.
Here’s a preliminary list of ways I can use food to make someone’s day. I won’t necessarily do all of these, but it cheers me up to think of different ways to be nice, instead of being the grouchy cynic I usually am. Brainstorming is the first step, right? Right?
If you have any to add, feel free to do so in the comments and I will include them!
- The next person on Facebook I see who’s sick or having a shitty week, I will send them cookies.
- The next person on Facebook I see who has fantastic news, I will send them cookies. (I dunno about this, though–all my friends seem to be getting knocked up at an alarming rate. Are you pregnant, too?)
- Send mole to my Ma, because she’s never had it before. (I’m doing that tomorrow.)
- Send coconut-mint chutney to my good friend Brittany, because she friggin loves it. (Any excuse to make mint chutney…)
- Bake for a bake sale.
- Organize a bake sale.
- Leave brownies for my new neighbors–especially the lady whose car we blocked in the garage…oops!
- Fix a dinner plate for a homeless person.
- Spread chocolate frosting on myself and make Andy stop working for a while. Yeah, baby.
- Give dog treats to the sweet poochies I always see.
- Give out food samples on behalf of an animal-rights group.
- Volunteer for Food not Bombs.
- Leave a bag of Chex Mix (or something similar) for the mail carrier on top of the mailbox. Notice I didn’t say in the mailbox, that’s illegal–wonder if someone would steal it though? Hmm.
- Feed birds.
- Host a vegan Thanksgiving party. (Yeah it’s March, but I like to think ahead.)
Okay, I’m stuck at 15 and now my brain hurts so much. Being nice is hard sometimes.
How do you use your food powers for good? It could be cooking dinner for the family next door when the mom or dad is sick. It could be bringing doughnuts in to the office. What’s your favorite thing to do to make someone’s day with yummy treats? Tell us about it below!
A random comment will be chosen on Friday, March 19, 2010 to receive a batch of vegan cookies baked by moi! I haven’t baked in a while, but I promise you’ll be happy with the results.
Comments must be posted by 11:59 PM (California time) on Thursday, March 18th. I will announce the contest winner at noon(ish) on the 19th, and contact the winner via email. Your email address will not be used for any other purpose.
U.S. Residents only, please.
Can’t wait to hear from you! This’ll be fun!